Dory

Dory

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Clean and Scarf(s)

Well the title of this blog post is not in reference to the weather.  As usual, the weather remains nice in Las Vegas.  Highs in the 60's.  Yep, it's December tomorrow.

So on Thursday, very little work occurred in the boat shop.  Football needed watching and Turkey needed consumed.

Friday I went out to work pretty early in the day.  I spent some time getting the shop cleaned out.  This involved clearing one side, sweeping it clean, then moving everything back from the other side to do the same.  I also had to consolidate a table for the scarfing that needed to happen.






I then worked on getting the transom laid out:
Chad came over and we got it cut out and ready to lay up.  Had to cut out and get to the JT show, so bigger plans for Saturday.

After breakfast I set about building on to the white folding table to better perform the scarfs.  I didn't take much of a picture before I set to scarfing, so the basic outline can be seen above.

Once I had the new work bench/scarfing table set up, I set about lining up the plywood and the scarfing jig.



They were not the best looking scarfs, had to do some clean up with the belt sander to make them serviceable, but we were able to get the first side panel epoxied along with the transom. 

 Matkat Boatwerks First Scarf Joint
 Laying up the Transom





These should all be kicked by morning, then we will prep the 1/2" sheets for the bottom and epoxy the other side.  Still looking good to build next weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment