Dory

Dory

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Black Canyon

From Wikipedia:
"The Black Canyon of the Colorado is the canyon on the Colorado River where Hoover Dam was built. The canyon is located on the Colorado River at the state line between Nevada and Arizona. The western wall of the gorge is in the El Dorado Mountains, and the eastern wall is in the Black Mountains of Arizona. The canyon formed about 15 million years ago during the Miocene Basin and Range uplift.[1] Black Canyon gets its name from the black volcanic rocks that are found throughout the area.[1]"

So why is this interesting to us?  Well first of all, it is just a mere 25 miles from my home in Las Vegas, NV (well actually, in Paradise, Nevada, in unincorporated Clark County).  Even more so, it is relevant because this is what the girls and I decided to name our Dory tonight.  Yes, you heard that right, tonight I impregnated our garage... errr... my new boatshop.  My garage is now officially re-dubbed as "Matkat Boatwerks" and the first child will be an 18' Briggs Colorado River Dory named the "Black Canyon".  It all makes sense now, right?

So why build a boat?  I'm not sure exactly why.  I guess I could go to the internet and buy a raft, and get a frame and put all of that together and then go run some rivers.  That just seems too easy, I guess.

If I think back, I believe the story goes something like this:  

I have been a long time Grand Canyon hiker and backpacker.  Some may say obsessed, I just figured I was getting experienced.  Sitting on the Beach at Cardenas Creek, with my friend Jim, 3 days into an Escalante Route hike in 2010 with another 4 days to go (we went down to the LCR and out the Tanner Trail), we were invaded by a private river trip.  They were nice.  They were from Canada.  They didn't say 'eh' after every sentence, eh.  They were on day 6-7 of 23 days.  It was a multi-generational family trip.  Grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, friends,  It looked like a great time.  We had been laid out on the beach for a little while when they pulled up.  Offerred us beer, margaritas, and food if we would share our camp with them.  We obliged, then Jim and I discussed what a great time it would be to run the river.  I started putting into the River Lottery immediately ( http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/overview-lees-ferry-diamond-ck.htm ).  In my third year I got drawn for a permit.  Yippee!

February 2012, I paid my $400 to NPS and had a permit to launch from Lees Ferry on March 18, 2013.  While planning for this epic trip ( http://elveschasm.com/grand-canyon-colorado-river-journal/ ) I corresponded some with Tom Martin. For those who don't know Tom Martin (or know "OF" Tom Martin), he is nearly a legend.  Co-author of the best River Guide on the market ( http://www.vishnutemplepress.com/ ) "Guide to the Colorado River in Grand Canyon" and author of the best hiking guide from the River "Day Hikes From the River", Tom is well-versed, well-educated, and a great resource for the Private Boater. Check out the River Wiki: ( https://rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Main_Page ). Tom's books, webpages and general availability made planning a private river trip a breeze.  In some email correspondence prior to launch day, Tom suggested building a boat.  I thought about it, but placed it on the backburner.  No time for that now.  

So we went on our river trip.  My first on any type of white water.  My first time rowing a boat.  Yes, some oars were destroyed.  I flipped once in Horn Creek.  Got it out of the way early on my boating career.  A life changing experience was had.  Brady Black did a fantastic job outfitting us ( http://www.moenkopiriverworks.com/ ).  When we got back and assimilated back into normal life, I just could not shake the experience of being on the River.  I looked at buying my own raft.  I finally decided to build a Dory.

I researched and researched.  Read.  Dreamed.  I landed on Wooden Boat People ( http://westcoastwoodenboats.ning.com/ ).  I read, soaked, and absorbed as much as I could.  I then found Brad Dimock's Blog ( fretwaterlines.blogspot.com).  Brad is also a phenomenal author and has written many books on historical River Runners and has replicated many of their boats and runs!  I couldn't stop reading.  Dreaming.  Planning.  I bought Roger Fletcher's excellent book ( http://www.riverstouch.com/ ) did a take off and got a wood package together.  After a few months, I got my wood package, and here we are.  See the pictures below.



The package consists of:
160 LF of 1"x4" of VG Douglas Fir for the Chines & Gunwales
200 LF of 1"x4" Port Orford Cedar  for the Frames and Decking Frames
20 LF of 2"x4" Poplar for the Gunwale Boards
55"x5"x6" of Poplar for the Stem Post
6 Sheets of 1/4"x4'x8' of Douglas Fir Marine Grade Plywood for the Side Panels
2 Sheets of 1/2"x4'x8' of Douglas Fir Marine Grade Plywood for the Bottom Panels
3 Sheets of 3/8"x4'x8' of Douglas Fir Marine Grade Plywood for the Decks & Hatches.






Now it's time to get to work.  I plan on updating this blog as often as meaningful progress is made on the boat.  I am hoping that translates into several times a week, we will see.  I have a friend helping me right now, who I will introduce in my next post.  Until then, I need to get my fasteners lined up, get some epoxy in hand and order the fiberglass.  Still have to get oars, oarlocks, oarlock braces, lifelines & fasteners, etc.  At least I have throw bag and drag bag already...



Now, join us, in the building of the BLACK CANYON!  A Whitewater Dory!

I hope you all find this blog interesting, informative and feel free to comment on the goings on.  If you do not feel like any of that, please send us Lumberyard IPA or bottles of your favorite Whiskey (or Whisky if you're a Makers Mark type) to 7676 Borealis St., Las Vegas, NV 89123.

Cheers!

-Josh

2 comments:

  1. Josh
    I'm following right along - if you're building one of the boats from Roger's book, I'm wondering which one? Where are you getting the PO Cedar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following... Can you tell me where you got the plans? I'm wanting to build a grand canyon dory model but I can't justify paying the big bucks for the plans that I've found online just to build a model.

    ReplyDelete